Not quite sure what to do....

So my oldest daughter is 12. She does well in school but lately any free time she has she wants to be on her electronics. We do have rules no electronics before homework and chores are done... stuff like that. She does have to help make dinner a few times a week ( her and her sisters alternate days to help with dinner). I just can't seem to get her to do things outdoors like she used to. I'm thinking of telling her that she is at an age that it will be mandatory for her to do some kind of extracurricular activity whether it be a sport or band...etc. What are your thoughts on extracurricular activities being mandatory? Or do I just make more rules in regards to the electronics?
In my family once we got to middle school we were required to do some kind of activity ( such as sports or band). Since electronics weren't a big thing then I think for us it was more about being a part of something ( like a team). It taught us how to be accountable because our team needed us. Personally I think it was a great experience.